This feed contains pages in the Ada category.
Waking up a sleeping beauty
I have been interested in writing a boardgame in Ada for awhile. For this I could either start from scratch, or continue on something already existing.
Looking at AdaOthello it appears to be a good way to get started. It was written 2001 by Adrian Hoe using GtkAda 1.2.12. With some minor effort I got it to build and run using GtkAda 2.1.14. It would probably been of less effort if I would have had some experience of GtkAda before.
Here it is up and running.
At the moment I find it quite easy to win over. As seen I have also taken all four corners.
Where to get it?
I have put the code in a
bzr repository. To get it from there you can do:
shell> bzr branch http://gustaf.thorslund.org/src/adaothello/trunk adaothello
You can also get it from adaothello-0.1.1.tar.bz2
GtkAda will be needed. On Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04) they
are available as
libgtkada2.14.2-dev. I also found a bug
in the packaging of
Launchpad bug 627059 for a
workaround if you get problem building.
What is next?
- Write some more games
- Get the AI player better
- Put a project on Launchpad
- Use AWS too for UI
- Add LICENCE, README, NEWS, and INSTALL files.
- Write an about box
Why sleeping beauty?
- Latest version from 2001 so quite asleep I would say
- The licence is GPL version 2 or later
- A licence that suits me
- The original author can be sure it will remain an open source project
- I had the freedom to wake it up
- I can be sure it will remain an open source project